Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Garage Sale to Gorgeous

Check out my new blog Ivory Bloom!


Lots of FREE printables, creative ideas and an art community.



My friend Inger called me one Saturday morning with some exciting news. 
She was on a walk with her husband and there was a garage sale that had some great furniture. 
She snagged this chair for me {only $10} and three cute chairs for her.


First I sanded the chair and cleaned thoroughly.


Then spray painted the entire chair red.
{I like to use Krylon® Indoor/Outdoor gloss or semi-gloss
or 2X Painter's Touch gloss or semi-gloss.}

Let the paint cure in the shade.


I applied a large vinyl embellishment that I got from Uppercase Living.


Then, spray painted the entire chair blue.
Peeled off the vinyl when the blue paint was still tacky.
The beautiful red color underneath was revealed.

Then I sanded and distressed the chair.
I usually use a semi-gloss paint, but this chair got a satin finish, on accident! 
With a satin finish, I couldn't use the dark walnut stain I liked to use to give the furniture a vintage look. With the satin finish, there is NO time to wipe-off the stain once it's applied. 
When this happens, the furniture just looks dirty.
I wasn't sure how to deal with this... then I found furniture wax. It worked great! 

I finished off the project with 3 coats of clear furniture wax.


Including more tips on using vinyl lettering as a stencil.


The chair has a nice smooth finish and the wax will protect the paint.







No comments:

Post a Comment